DVD PLAYER

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 10 17:20:35 UTC 2010

On 06/10/2010 01:19 AM, Tim Hanson wrote:
> At one time I used ogle (using libdvdcss) to decode and play full length DVDs.
> The advantage of ogle was that it played the video just like a commercial DVD
> player, with full menus. It played in slow motion and fast forward, etc.  The
> problem is that it had some bugs, the last update was in 2005, and it is no
> longer carried on the repositories.
>
> On my last iteration of a distribution featuring a KDE desktop I noticed that
> the video player no longer includes all these features.  Is there a current
> player that does?  I'm particularly interested in one that honors the DVD's
> menu system.

You'll still need libdvdcss, but try SMPlayer (front end to Mplayer);
that will give you the access to full menus: subtitles, speed, frame
step, title, chapter, angle etc., etc.

While the basic mplayer & smplayer in the official repositories
generally do a good job, I've found that using RVM's PPA repositories
tend to keep both in sync with the project releases:

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/smplayer

Click the (Read about installing) for instructions on how to install.

Info:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html
http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/