How I installed Lucid on a USB flash disc - WAS: Please, Ubuntu, do not embarrass me again!

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 10 10:38:11 UTC 2010

On 10 June 2010 09:25, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 10/06/10 18:03, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 10 June 2010 07:55, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:

>>> The flash I got has a 5 year warranty. By next year there will be some
>>> other new-fangdangled storage medium, and by then we probably will be
>>> all running an OS which comes installed on an orange so I am not
>>> especially worried about putting Ubuntu on this flash :-) .
>>>
>> That is interesting, a 5 year warranty that does not preclude wearing
>> out due to excessive writes?  I would be interested to know the
>> device, I need to get some.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> The one I am using for my 'experiment' is a Kingston 8GB unit.
>
> The other ones which I have are Corsairs - from 1 - 16GB - not only
> faster but also have a 10-year warranty.
>
> But then, it all depends on what is stated in the small print, isn't it?
> :-) (and if you keep the receipt in a book, eg, because the print will
> fade within a shortish time if exposed to light).

Often when you look at guarantees carefully you find they only cover
it if it 'does not operate according to spec' or some such wording.
If one looks carefully at the spec it may define the max number of
supported write cycles.  Therefore if you wear it out by going over
this limit the guarantee will not cover it as it has met it's
published spec.  Therefore it is not faulty, just worn out.

Colin