nfs mount fails in Ubuntu 10, but not with -v

Stuart Reynolds ubuntu-users at stuartreynolds.net
Thu Jun 10 01:47:52 UTC 2010

I've tried:

      (1)  mount    -t nfs remotehost:/remotedir localmountpoint -o owner,rw
      (2)  mount -v -t nfs remotehost:/remotedir localmountpoint -o owner,rw

(1) Used to work with Ubuntu 9 and now fails with Ubuntu 10
(2.6.32-21-generic kernel) with the error:

       mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified

Strangely, adding -v (verbose) in (2) makes the problem go away.

This is currently a blocker for me because the fstab line:

       remotehost:/remotedir localmountpoint nfs owner,rw   0 0

causes the same error (I don't believe I can specify verbose in fstab).

Is this a bug in mount or are my options really incorrect?

Thanks,
- Stu