Problems with emacs 23 in ubuntu 10.04

Pete Vander Giessen petevg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 23:44:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Kjetil Halvorsen <kjetil1001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On starting up emacs, (large) parts of the text in the emacs buffers
> are overwritten by black lines ...
>
> Its difficult for me to work without a working emacs!

Hi Kjetil,

Have you tried disabling destkop effects?  (System -> Preferences ->
Appearance -> Visual Effects -- set it to "None")  That's a good place
to start if you're having rendering issues in any program, and while
losing interface snazziness is sad, it is even more sad to not have a
working copy of the One True Editor ;-)

The next step would be to tell us more about your computer (video
card, window manager, anything weird in your .emacs etc).  I'm running
Emacs in 10.04 64bit on a Thinkpad with an Intel video card, and it's
working just fine; it's probably an issue with your specific hardware
or config, rather than an issue with Emacs and Ubuntu, generally.

~ PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde