circular dependencies in aptitude?

Calcpage calcpage at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 22:14:45 UTC 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 10:42 PM, calcpage at aol.com wrote:

> On 06/08/2010 07:12 PM, Calcpage wrote:
>>>
>>> On Jun 8, 2010, at 8:31 PM, NoOp ...
>>>>

> <http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/sun-java6/sun-java6-bin_6.20
> dlj-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb
>>>>>

> <http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/sun-java6/sun-java6-jre_6.20
> dlj-1ubuntu3_all.deb
>>>>>

> <http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/sun-java6/sun-java6-plugin_6
> .20dlj-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb

> locations

>>> Wow, thanx for all that info!  It sounds like exactly what I need.
>>> will have to try out your advice when I get back to school tomorrow.
>
>>> I just don't know how I could have figured all that out on my
>>> own....
>
>> Note that you can "sneaker-net" install if the machines are having
>> issues getting out to the network to install. Copy to usb & then
>> put on
>> the machines. However if the machines do not have issues getting
>> out to
>> the network, simply enable the partner repository
>> deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner
>> and install via Synaptic.
>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes#Sun%20Java%20moved%20to%
> 20the%20Partner%20repository>
>
> The problem is that my tech guy at school blocks *.bz2 files so
> aptitude is broken.  I can't run sudo aptitude update until he gets
> around to unblocking them as he has promissed.  However, I can
> download
> *.debs manually!
>
> HTH,
> A. Jorge Garcia
> http://calcpage.tripod.com
>
> Teacher & Professor
> Applied Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science
> Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College

BTW, to answer your question of how did I install ubuntu in the first
place, I downloaded the iso at home and put it on an FTP site I set
up.  This site is accessable on campus and off campus.  So, the next
day at school I downloaded the iso to 8 PCs to burn 8 CDs in
parallel.  Then I installed 8 PCs at a time over the next few days (24
PCs).

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS