[Fwd: Evolution Mail Client]

Rob robfleet at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 9 19:39:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 15:15 -0400, J wrote:
> Stuff about Evolution playing sounds...
>
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:51, Rob <robfleet at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > Sorry...should have mentioned I am running Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> Honestly, I'm having enough trouble just keeping Evolution running
> with two IMAP servers without having to manually kill/restart it every
> so often.
>
> Especially when using a remote LDAP directory as a contact list.
>
> At least the indicator applet turns green when I get new mail and a
> balloon opens that reminds me that X new messages came in.
>
> I'll poke around with it later today and see if I can get sound on
> incoming messages though.
>
> However, it WOULD be helpful if you could provide more detail...  are
> you using default sounds, or trying to use your own sounds?  Does
> sound work elsewhere?  (Yes, I know that's kind of a stupid question,
> but there've been a couple of times when I couldn't figure out WHY I
> got no sound, until I realized I had muted the speakers and forgot...)
>
> Cheers
> Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for your input and look forward to further.  To answer your
question(s):

I'm running KDE, btw but running Evolution under Gnome or XFCE doesn't
result in any sound upon email arrival either.

Yes, sound works elsewhere, though I don't have any sound set up to work
as I click around on the desktop or throughout apps I'm running, I do
have libflashplayer.so installed so I can watch and listen to stuff from
Hulu, etc..

Rob