How to install ".tar.bz" files

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Wed Jun 9 13:20:26 UTC 2010

Thomas Blasejewicz schrieb am 09.06.2010 14:40:

[...]

> The readme file says:
> * Others: To install OmegaT, simply create a suitable folder for OmegaT
> (e.g., /usr/local/lib on Linux). Copy the OmegaT zip or tar.gz archive
> to this folder and unpack it there."
>
> I cannot copy or move that file. I always get an error telling me
> "Permissions denied"; both with the compressed file and an unpacked
> folder. Why is this necessary? I have administrator rights on this machine.

How did you gain admin rights? If you tried to copy within Nautilus
I doubt you can gain admin rights. Try CLI:

sudo cp -v <source> <destination>

> I created a folder within my home folder to put the downloaded file and
> unpacked it there. That means, I could/can copy/move this file around
> elsewhere.

Yes, but to copy to /usr you need admin rights.

> AND
> "3.3 Launching OmegaT
> * By double-clicking on the file OmegaT.jar. This will work only if the
> .jar file type is associated with Java on your system.
> * From the command line. The command to launch OmegaT is:
> cd <folder where the file OmegaT.jar is located>
> <name and path of the Java executable file> -jar OmegaT.jar"
>
> Neither of these seem to work.

What does this mean exactly? Please send the command you used and
its output. Do you have Java installed?

> Is it absolutely necessary to have these files in /usr/local/lib on Linux?

No. You can put them wherever you want. You may want to create a bin
directory in your home directory (mkdir ~/bin) an put the .jar file
there.

> So, is there an easy (like "click install") way of installing THIS (or
> all other similar) file?
> Preferrably having to resort to numerous, complicated commands?

Installing only means copying to appropriate directories. For
example if there are executables they must be copied to directories
in your PATH (echo $PATH) so that they are found automatically. But
you can always execute software manually from wherever you want.
Actually you only need to execute the .jar file (with Java installed!):

	java -jar OmegaT.jar

BUT: OmegaT seems to supply own Java executables and many other
files. I just downloaded it to better understand your problem. You
really should follow the README instructions. And you need a JRE by
Sun as stated in the README.

[...]

Best
Christoph