circular dependencies in aptitude?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 9 00:31:35 UTC 2010

On 06/08/2010 02:57 PM, calcpage at aol.com wrote:
>>>         You should wait for your Tech to arrive. They are necessary
> for
>>> upgrades ect.
>>>
>>Not really. Just need to make sure you're getting the packages from
>>the correct place, all that's not working is the package fetcher and
>>dependency resolver. If you have the packages locally, you're set.
>>Techs aren't required or needed for upgrades. Maybe in the windows
>>world, who knows.
>
> I went on the java website and downloaded this recommended file:
>
> jre-6u20-linux-x86.bin
>
> I did chmod 755 to make it executable and ran it with sudo.  It seems
> to have installed.  Now how do i plug it into Firefox?

http://java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml#selfextracting
The installation is now complete. Skip to the Enable and Configure section.
http://java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml#enable
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
  [Choosing the default Java to use]

However, you could have installed the .debs instead:
<http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/sun-java6/>
bin, jre, plugin for your architechture. For example if you have a 64bit:

<http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/sun-java6/sun-java6-bin_6.20dlj-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb>
<http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/sun-java6/sun-java6-jre_6.20dlj-1ubuntu3_all.deb>
<http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/s/sun-java6/sun-java6-plugin_6.20dlj-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb>

download those three & from nautilus double-click to install (bin first,
jre second, plugin third). Those will install in the proper locations
for your system. Afterwards, check to ensure that you are using the
correct java's: