Please, Ubuntu, do not embarrass me again!

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 8 12:54:19 UTC 2010

On 07/06/10 23:34, Tom H wrote:

>>> But pulseaudio allows us to match the sound system of Solaris and Mac OS X!
>>>
>> Nobody is stopping you from using pulseaudio. The problem is that it is
>> installed by default and does allow the sound to work for most people
>> (read the questions in this ML about people having problems with getting
>> sound when installing Ubuntu).
>>
>> Install alsamixergui by default so that people can get to see all the
>> parameters available to get sound working - which pulseaudio does not
>> allow as I have already explained - and then if you want to stream or
>> whatever your sound then install pulseaudio.
>>

>>> Why should one app hoging the sound to the exclusion of all others be a
>>> defining characteristic of Linux?!
>>>
>> Exactly. Why should a PITA app. like pulseaudio cause such hassles with
>> sound for people installing Ubuntu?
>>
> I can't begin to understand why anyone would want to use pulseaudio on
> OSX given how many problems it creates on Linux and how smooth the
> audio experience is on a Mac (or even on Windows).

Umm, in Windows there is no sound until you install the driver for your
sound card. Have no idea about the Mac.

At least in a Linux distro until pulseaudio was foisted on everyone you
could get sound pretty simply using alsa - and without even having to
install the sound files from the CD meant for Windows installation.

BC

--
Attorney:   All your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
Witness:    Oral.