Has Ubuntu 10.2 fixed Intel sound problem

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 8 11:06:19 UTC 2010

On 08/06/10 20:18, Nathan Bahn wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Pastor JW
> <pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
> <mailto:pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Monday, June 07, 2010 5:02:22 am Ben Edwards wrote:
>     > Has Ubuntu 10,.2 fixed the Intel chipset problem that was introduced
>     > in 9.10.  I am fairly shocked that this was not fixed in 9.10 as it
>     > meant that computers using Intel chipset for audio has no audio!.
>     > This meant that if you had a Dell laptop Ubuntu effectively no
>     longer
>     > supported on board audio.
>
>     Well first off, what is 10.2 Ubuntu?  As far as I know Ubuntu made
>     no releases
>     in February this year unless it was a beta test release for 10.04
>     which is a
>     LTS release.  Second I use a Dell with an Intel chipset and it has
>     work fine
>     since 7.10 which was the Ubuntu version Dell had on this machine
>     when they
>     sold it to me.  My laptop has never had any OS but Ubuntu ever on
>     it.  It even
>     came from Dell with LinDVD installed which plays DVDs perfectly
>     with no errors
>     in either video or sound.  I also use it every day for Skype and
>     again both
>     video and sound work perfectly even for overseas calls!
>
>     > Anyway rant aside has it been fixed.  This problem is giving
>     people I
>     > know who are pro windows massive and partly legitimate ammunition
>     > against Ubuntu which really saddens me.
>
>     OTOH, the fact Ubuntu just works has been the largest factor in my
>     town for
>     several businesses to switch from windoze to Ubuntu!  The Lawyers
>     especially
>     were impressed with the fact Ubuntu with Open Office was able to
>     read their
>     older legal files done in Word and Vista's Office couldn't!!
>      Granted, most
>     businesses do not use much for sound but it too was there in all
>     the different
>     machines I installed since last year.  Are you sure you don't just
>     have a
>     channel muted?
>

>     --
>     73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
>     http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403
>

> Attention all--
>
> I'm tempted to say that this is just my 2 cent$ (damned character map
> is */useless/* for ASCII characters!) but what I'm about to express is
> not an */opinion/* of mine, but -- rather -- a */problem/* of mine.
>
> So my primary/master hard drive craps out on me (BUT, /GET *THIS*/:
> It works OK as a _secondary/slave_.  Go figure!  I certainly can't!);

Don't get too worked up about this Nathan - I have had this same problem
since late last year when I bought 2 brand new HDs - and had them
replaced, but one still continues to refuse to be the main drive but
works perfectly as a second drive on any system (ie, as long as a main
system - any system - is not installed on it).

I am wondering: this drive of yours wouldn't be a Seagate by any chance?

> I manage to acquire another hard drive (SATA, I believe -- the data
> cable is much more narrow), and apparently install it correctly
> because I'm able to do a clean install of Jaunty Jackalope before
> upgrading to Karmic Koala.  Anyway, one nagging issue that I haven't
> been able to resolve is sound; and  I'm Pretty Damned Certain that I
> don't have anything muted.  I know that I've seen some threads where
> people have mentioned sound issues (don't remember, though, if it was
> for 09.10 or 10.04), but for the life of me, I */cannot/* locate
> them!  If someone would be kind enough point me to the correct web
> page and tell me exactly what search terms will bring up sound issues
> for 09.10, then I'll be mightily obliged.

My suggestion: in Synaptic Manager uninstall pulseaudio; install
alsamixergui; run alsamixergui and make sure that all the right
parameters are set (eg, with me I have to activate the Analog Jack
Output [ie, make the top "speakers" above the parameter turn to grey
from white] for my Soundblaster card); check that your sound is working
by adjusting the volumes; then if all this is working re-install
pulseaudio to get the sound icon back in the top panel. Let me know if
this solves your problem.

BC

--
Attorney:   All your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
Witness:    Oral.