xrandr: how to tell it that a screen size is supported?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 7 19:55:15 UTC 2010

On 06/07/2010 06:41 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 7 June 2010 14:04, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How can I either:
>> 1) Configure the machine to always use 1680x1050 no matter how it is booted?
> Take the Xorg from autoconfig mode by having an /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
> file. You can get X to create one for you with the -configure option.
> Once created, you can test this file and tweak it for your setup.

Perhaps
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
[Setting xrandr changes persistently]
will help.

I run into this situation as well, as I often boot my test machines
without the monitor attached. So I use an xorg.conf file to do this as
the xorg.conf applies to all users. I've not tried the script method
described in the wiki link.