Bash Auto Completion

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 07:59:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:12 AM, sam tygier <samtygier at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/06/10 07:12, Amichai Rotman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu Lucid on both my desktop and my Asus Netbook. I have
>> installed the respective version on each (the Netbook Remix on the Netbook).
>>
>> I usually fire up Synaptic Package Manager right after installation and
>> updates and go through each category and install the packages I find
>> interesting.
>>
>> I am not sure what I've installed on the desktop, but now I have the
>> functionality of Auto Complete in the console. Say I enter "sudo apt-get
>> in" and press the TAB key, it will autocomplete the "install" command.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what was it I installed? I would like this
>> functionality on the Netbook too...
>>

> you need to install the package bash-completion

bash-completion is installed by default on just about any Ubuntu box
(it is even installed if you don't choose any of the tasksel tasks)
because it has a "recommends" dependency in ubuntu-standard. So you
can only skip it if you skip "recommends" at install-time with a
preseed file (unless "expert install" allows you to do the same
without one, but I have never tried it).