[Resolved?]Re: Passwords don't work anywhere, SSH pubkey does. PAM problem?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 7 04:10:26 UTC 2010

On 06/06/2010 08:23 PM, Joshua Gardner wrote:
> Excerpts from Joshua Gardner's message of Sun Jun 06 20:44:33 -0600 2010:
>> Excerpts from Joshua Gardner's message of Sun Jun 06 19:09:13 -0600 2010:
>> > Excerpts from J's message of Sun Jun 06 16:59:38 -0600 2010:

>> > Well, it's not the shell. Still definitely /bin/bash. That wouldn't
>> > have screwed up Citadel, anyway.
>> >
>> > I've been wondering if it was compromised too, but how would I tell?
>> > Should I just backup and reinstall?
>> >
>> > -Josh
>>
>> I had someone look at it over SSH and it appears that either a
>> corruption or a compromise has damaged all of my PAM libraries; they
>> don't pass a sha1sum test. I'm just going to reinstall.
>>
>> Thanks anyway.
>>
>> -Josh
>
> Heh, phew. It wasn't that after all. Samba's databases got corrupted
> and Samba's hooks into PAM got all screwed up. sha1sum test failures
> was due to mismatched versions between my system and my
> friend's. Removing the corrupted Samba databases fixed everything.
>
> -Josh

So we could tag this [Resolved] then so that other folks on the list
don't continue to try to troubleshoot?

BTW: a corrupted Samba database shouldn't cause all passwords (including
sudo) to not work. You might want to explore further to see if you can
figure out what actually caused the problem.
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=samba+%2Bpassword+corruption&field.actions.search=Search>