Passwords don't work anywhere, SSH pubkey does. PAM problem?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 22:59:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 16:58, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 06/06/2010 11:29 AM, Joshua Gardner wrote:
>> Well, that didn't work. Any other ideas?
>
> Check:
> $ cat /var/log/auth.log
> to see if you can find any glaring hints there.

And take a look at /etc/passwd too.  IIRC, switching someone's shell
to something other than one of he shells will give results like that,
HOWEVER, that should also prevent you from being able to SSH in and
get a shell as well, but it's still worth looking at.

I'm wondering if your server wasn't compromised...