How to "disable zero CD" in order to get my USB mobile internet dongle working?

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 22:23:44 UTC 2010

On 6 Jun 2010 at 23:11, Bas Roufs wrote:

> [...]

First of all, just tell me to get lost if what I am going to say has been
said before, because I havn't really been following this thread.

I have used my wife's USB mobile internet dongle (its a Huawei
K3565) with no trouble at all. Yes, it does show up as a storage
device, because it has a micro SD storage card in it, mounted at
/media/VMC LITE 9.3.5.11690).  But that has nothing to do with its
internet function in Ubuntu.  I think it has Windows software on it.

The internet function is enabled through the Network applet.  Under
Lucid (Ubuntu, not Kubuntu) it just tells me in the list of possible
connections that there is a 'New Mobile Broadband (GSM)
connection...'  I click on that and it takes me to a dialog where I select
Country (Britain(UK) in this list - why they cannot standardise on
United Kingdom, I will never know), then my Provider (Vodaphone)
then my (wife's) Billing Plan (TopUp and Go).  Once I confirm all that
- it works!

So, what doesn't work for you?  One thing you don't tell us in your
BASIC INFO is details of your mobile provider.

Tony