setup wireless connection

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Jun 6 19:59:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 05:57:08AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 06:01 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 02:40:16PM -0400, Nathan Bahn wrote:
> >
> >> That might be the problem right there.  I suspect that the router's encryption
> >> is set to WEP, while the computer's encryption is set to a WPA/WPA2
> >> configuration.  Is there any truth to this?
> >>
> > Excuse my ignorance but I don't think I've ever encountered setting wep
> > or wpa on a computer. The only encryption setting for wep or wpa I'm
> > aware of is on my router's configuration site and that is for the router
> > only. Please enlighten me.
> >

>      Let me try to be easy to understand. The easiest way to setup YOUR
> wireless router is to use no security. Then anyone can use your wifi
> that can hear it. This will work most of the time, but in my case
> someone near found my unprotected wifi and went work surfing the web
> sites :-)

Larsen, try to get this thru your head:

First, read the damned messages before you reply to them. I didn't ask
how to set up wifi.

Second, you just told what you thought was a noob to forgo encryption
on his connection then turned right around and gave an example of why
that was lousy advice.

Third, you picked the wrong boy to talk down to. Don't do it again!

If you can retain any of this for more than 5 minutes I'll be surprised.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279