ubuntu + oscar clusters?

calcpage at aol.com calcpage at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 23:49:53 UTC 2010

I am wondering if anyone out there has experience setting up an OSCAR
cluster over Ubuntu?  See
http://svn.oscar.openclustergroup.org/trac/oscar

OSCAR is a clustering bundle built around openMPI that can be installed
on top of your current distro.  I haven't tried it, but it looks
interesting.  I recently tried using
http://www.rocksclusters.org/wordpress which automates the install
process by taking over the whole partition table on each node of the
cluster installing some sort of paired down version of RHEL like
CentOS.  Rocks has a lot of other restrictions like making eth0 private
and eth1 public.  I just can't get into it!

So, now that I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 64bit on 25 dual-core AMD
Athons, I thought I could try out OSCAR instead.  I'd like to get an
hdd installed cluster that acts something like the pelicanHPC CD which
uses openMPI+MPITB+Octave to write parallel code in Octave (like
MATLAB).

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com

Teacher & Professor
Applied Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science
Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College