Browser speed issue

Dick Dowdell dick.dowdell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 18:01:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Hal Burgiss <hal at burgiss.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Dick Dowdell <dick.dowdell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm using a Sony VAIO W series netbook dual booting Lucid and Win 7 Pro.
> > use Firefox and Chrome on both installations.  Browser response is near
> > instantaneous on Win 7 but mush slower on Ubuntu.  It's not a problem
> with
> > connection speed.  It seems that on Ubuntu the browsers spend most of
> their
> > time doing DNS lookups, while on Win 7, rrecent DNS responses are cached.
> > Does anyone know what's going on?
>
> If its that noticeable, your DNS server is sick, tired and/or hungry.
> Find another one. That's the core problem.
>
> Secondly, I am pretty sure recent versions of Chrome (and maybe FF) do
> indeed cache DNS on Linux. I am using the alpha version of google
> chrome, and I am 99% sure there is some DNS caching going on.
>
> Also, its trivial to install a caching DNS server in Linux, something
> like 'sudo apt-get install bind9' or somesuch, which might also
> workaround the server problem.
>
> Caching DNS has good and bad aspects. I tend to not prefer that kind
> of thing in favor of fast server response times.
>
> --
> Hal

Actually, the DNS servers are provided by Verizon FIOS and are working fine
for the browsers on Win 7.  I'm getting a "Looking up <host-name>" message
for each host referenced by the page. I'm not a network expert, but I am an
expert network programmer.  I expect the local IP stack to cache IP
addresses after DNS searches.  That doesn't seem to be happening.

Thanks,
Dick Dowdell