"A prgram is still running -power management" message each time i log in

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 5 16:43:46 UTC 2010

On 06/06/10 02:26, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 05/06/2010 13:34, Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

>>> Same problem here: it goes away after a few seconds, but it would be
>>> nice to identify the cause. For what it's worth it only occurs on 1
>>> machine of several, all running up to date 10.04 and all updated in
>>> situ from 9.10.
>>>
>> Could it be that you start with a previously saved session? If that is
>> the case, at least temporarily setup your system to start with a new
>> session (sorry, can't tell you how to do it with Gnome). Then log out
>> and log in again.
>>
> I've never consciously saved a session, but you may have provided a
> useful clue. Thanks.

Yesterday afternoon (our time) I lost connection to the ISP. It was a
sudden and unexpected disconnection which lasted some time.

When the connection was eventually re-established I couldn't get the
browser to connect to the ISP's server. Rebooting the modem did not help.

Problem was: the browser (Firefox) was configured somehow to "Work
offline" - which it is never set to do.

Software works in mysterious ways.... :-) .

BC

--
Attorney:   All your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
Witness:    Oral.