Dual boot with PCLinux???

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 14:08:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:

> Liam Proven さんは書きました:
>> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
>>
>>> I probably again did something really stupid.
>>>
>>> I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed.
>>> Tried liveCD of PCLinuxOS (Phoenix) -> chose "install" after some play.
>>> Was asked whether I want to use the entire disk or existing partitions.
>>> Chose "existing partitions" -> proceeded to install.
>>>
>>> After the installation I did expect to get a choice of whether I want to
>>> start Ubuntu or PClinux,
>>> but did not.
>>> The computer start **ONLY** with PCLinux.
>>>
>>> BUT ... properties of the new home folder says, that about 9 GB are used.
>>> I cannot believe that this is all for PCLinux.
>>>
>>> If Ubuntu is still "out there somewhere" ...
>>> how do I access it?
>>> Like getting a choice of Ubuntu/PCLinux.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>

>> You reused the existing partitions. In other words you removed Ubuntu
>> and replaced it with PCLinuxOS. What did you expect?
>>
>> If you told it to use the partitions that were already there, where
>> was Ubuntu meant to be afterwards?
>>
>> If you have a litre bottle of oil and you pour in a litre of water,
>> the water replaces the oil. The oil is gone, it flows out and is lost.
>>
>> Without creating a separate space for PCLinuxOS how on earth did you
>> think the 2 would exist side-by-side in the same container?
>>
>> To quote Charles Babbage on the Analytical Engine, his unfinished
>> mechanical computer:
>>
>> "On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
>> into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am
>> not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that
>> could provoke such a question."
>>
>> I'm with Charles on this one.
>>

> I see. Probably I have to do the whole thing all over again (for the
> thousandths time ...)
>
> But it says under disk space 31.1 GB free (out of 40). Does PCLinux use
> 9 GB of space?

I don't know your partitioning scheme. It's entirely possible, if it
managed to keep /home and that had a load of data in it. It may also
be using a swap *file* in the filesystem rather than a swap
*partition*.

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk * GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 * Cell: +44 7939-087884 * Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AOL/AIM/iChat/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven * LiveJournal/Twitter: lproven
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com * ICQ: 73187508