Dual boot with PCLinux???

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 13:25:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
> I probably again did something really stupid.
>
> I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed.
> Tried liveCD of PCLinuxOS (Phoenix) -> chose "install" after some play.
> Was asked whether I want to use the entire disk or existing partitions.
> Chose "existing partitions" -> proceeded to install.
>
> After the installation I did expect to get a choice of whether I want to
> start Ubuntu or PClinux,
> but did not.
> The computer start **ONLY** with PCLinux.
>
> BUT ... properties of the new home folder says, that about 9 GB are used.
> I cannot believe that this is all for PCLinux.
>
> If Ubuntu is still "out there somewhere" ...
> how do I access it?
> Like getting a choice of Ubuntu/PCLinux.
>
> Thank you.

You reused the existing partitions. In other words you removed Ubuntu
and replaced it with PCLinuxOS. What did you expect?

If you told it to use the partitions that were already there, where
was Ubuntu meant to be afterwards?

If you have a litre bottle of oil and you pour in a litre of water,
the water replaces the oil. The oil is gone, it flows out and is lost.

Without creating a separate space for PCLinuxOS how on earth did you
think the 2 would exist side-by-side in the same container?

To quote Charles Babbage on the Analytical Engine, his unfinished
mechanical computer:

"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am
not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that
could provoke such a question."

I'm with Charles on this one.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508