setup wireless connection

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Sat Jun 5 10:55:33 UTC 2010

> 2010/6/4 Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
> <mailto:thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp>>
>

>     > There must be some user-friendly magic word like "open sesame"
>     > somewhere
>     > (I would love to believe that ...)

I just tried to run PCLinuxOS as a liveCD on the machine I have Ubuntu
10.04 installed on.
There too is this network applet (however it is called).
I plug in the network adapter.
Click (or right-click, don't remember) on the icon.
It gives me the name of the router and asks for an encryption password
(which is found on the bottom of the router).
I enter that password and click "connect".

And the connection is established. No further questions asked.

If it is that easy, what (if you permit me to say so: "the hell") is
making this setup soooo difficult in Ubuntu??
With Ubuntu I am trying already a week; have been asked VERY, VERY
technical questions, run many commands
(none of which I understand) etc., etc., but so far all efforts have
been in vain.

Is there any such easy trick in Ubuntu??