New kernel from update June 4 2010

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 4 16:33:32 UTC 2010

On 06/04/2010 08:56 AM, Maurice McCarthy wrote:
> Karl
>
> I had to run update-grub manually to get the new kernel to boot!
>
> Maurice

Interesting...

Yesterday's kernel (-35) include a mass of security updates that
included this one:

<quote>
It was discovered that KVM did not correctly limit certain privileged
IO accesses on x86.  Processes in the guest OS with access to IO regions
could gain further privileges within the guest OS. (Did not affect
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.) (CVE-2010-0298, CVE-2010-0306, CVE-2010-0419)
</quote>

Today's kernel update (-36) pulled that due to:

<quote>
Details follow:

USN-947-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel.  Fixes for
CVE-2010-0419 caused failures when using KVM in certain situations.
This update reverts that fix until a better solution can be found.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
</quote>

<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2010-June/001101.html>
[Cannot start kvm guest]
And it looks like others had the same issue - comment from that bug
report (note to Karl - read & try to see if it fixes your problem):
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/589163/comments/15>

<quote>
Ok, I don't think I had the same problem then you guys but anyway, for
my freezing problem (update fail on the grub part), here what I did :

Restart.
Choose 2.6.32-22 (recovery mode)
Repair broken packages
Update grub bootloader
Resume normal boot

- You will be at the command line at this point.

Reboot

Everything should be ok.
</quote>

Both worked for me on 32bit & 64bit machines, but none of my machines
have KVM capabilities.