Trying to make Cisco/Linksys WUSB600N wireless ethernet work with Lucid

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 3 23:05:53 UTC 2010

On 06/03/2010 03:10 PM, sdavmor wrote:
> I inherited a Dell Dimension 4100 laptop. After adding ram to bring it
> to 1gb it works quite nicely with XP. But I'd like it to work with
> Ubuntu. So I partitioned the hard drive and installed Karmic Ubuntu
> Remix. So far so good (other than I want to get rid of the "remix"
> desktop). The 3com wired LAN works straight out of the box. But my
> Cisco/Linksys USB wireless LAN doesn't (it works with XP using the
> provided drivers CD). So I've upgraded to Lucid. But I still have no
> wireless joy.
>
> I looked at http://linuxwireless.org/. Apparently under the hood it's
> a Ralink rt2800usb, and is classified as not yet working.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rt2800usb/devices
Linksys  	WUSB600N-EU  	0x1737  	0x0071
is that the device?
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rt2800usb

So my next
> move will be to try ndiswrapper. Has anyone had experience of making
> this approach work with Lucid? Even if not with this particular model
> USB ethernet. And if so, some practical tips would be appreciated.
> I'll be happy to run any commands here and provide any requested
> output to help move this along.

I'd first try the suggestions in my other post. ndiswrapper can (IMO)
sometimes create more problems than it is intended to resolve.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ndiswrapper

However if you still want to give it a spin:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper