setup wireless connection

Nathan Bahn nathan.bahn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 21:44:06 UTC 2010

2010/6/3 Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp>

> Marius Gedminas さんは書きました:
> > I use ndiswrapper on one PC.  It is very unreliable and should be a
> > last-ditch choice.  I've seen people with Broadcom wireless in their
> > laptops have better success with either the b43 or the STA driver.
> > There should be documentation for setting them up on the Ubuntu website.
> >
> I am sorry, but I cannot find anything on the website.
> Through Synaptic: there seem to be similarly sounding items, but got
> error messages when I tried to install
> STA driver
> b43 driver
> iw tool
> but for ALL I get only error messages, telling me that some dependencies
> cannot be resolved and the necessary packaged cannot be acquired.
>

> > It's perhaps more commonly know as the network name.  All available
> > networks are displayed in a list if you click on the WiFi icon in the
> > top-right corner of the desktop, usually you just click on yours without
> > having to enter anything.
> >
> The "WiFi icon" -> is the two arrows in opposite directions when
> connected by cable and ca. 4 outward arcs?
> These outward arcs currently have a red exclamation mark in them and
> there is no list or anything else I can choose from.
> * Only VPN connection
> * Connect via stealth mode
> * Setup new wireless connection
>
> > Infrastructure is correct.
> >

> >> BSSID --> tried to enter all sorts of the things given on the router
> here
> >>

> > The MAC address of the access point; you can leave it blank.
> >

> >> MTU --> automatic
> >>

> > *nod*
> >

> >> and unless I do specify something under "security" the "apply" buttom
> >> remains greyed out.
> >>

> > Strange.
> >
> > If you click on the WiFi icon, do you see the name of your network in
> > the list?  When you click on that name, what happens?
> >

> I went over the whole thing again.
> Deleted what was there
> Setup new network:
> name: Aterm (name of the router series)
> mode: infrastructure
> BSSID: blank
> Mac address: blank
> MTU: auto
> security: tried almost all items out of this list:
> * none = does not work
> * WEP 40/128 bit key
> * WEP 128-but passphrase
> * LEAP
> * Dynamic WEP
> * WPA & WPA2 personal
> -> WHAT are those???
> -> If I choose any of those, WHAT am I supposed to enter there?
> -> I tried for example: WPA & WPA2 personal
> Then I am asked for a password. Where is that supposed to come from?
> I tried here: (a) the password provided by the ISP,
> (b) model name of the router = SSID
> (c) encryption key (found on the router)
> (d) PIN (found on the router)
>
> Example: use encryption key
> Apply
> [...]

T.B.--

Please connect the wireless router to a computer directly through a cable.
Then, if you type into your web browser's URL address field/bar (without the
quotes):
"192.168.1.1"
then what fields show up?  And do the fields show up as a graphical user
interface (like a web page)?
Also:  Which versions of Ubuntu and Firefox are you using?

--N.B.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html &
http://www.openoffice.org (Nathan Bahn)