Upgrading Virtualbox

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 3 21:41:09 UTC 2010

On 06/03/2010 02:21 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 06/03/2010 07:52 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>> I'm running Lucid 10.04 which installed Virtualbox OSE 3.1.6.  I would
>>> like to install an OS that recommends Vers 3.2.  How can I upgrade to 3.2?
>>>
>>> Thanks,  Jim
>>>

>> If you follow Liam's advise you will be downloading and installing the
>> VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL) version _not_ the
>> OSE version, which is what you said you want.
>
> It's not so much that I want OSE, I started working with OSE before I
> knew that PUEL existed.  When I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 OSE 3.1.6 is
> what I received.  I have been thinking about PUEL because I think I
> remember reading that it handles USB.  If I remember right you use PUEL,
> are there any gotcha's going from OSE to PUEL? I just have a copy of XP
> running in one now.

Not that I'm aware of. Backup & enable the PUEL repositories:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Don't forget to add the key:
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
-O- | sudo apt-key add -

Note that going from 3.1 to 3.2 (OSE or PUEL) is not an automatic
upgrade. You need to purposely install 3.2 and in the PUEL version that
then automatically uninstalls 3.1 and then installs 3.2. No idea if it
does with OSE to PUEL, so Liam's recommendation to uninstall the 3.1 OSE
first might be a good idea.

>> Reminder: be sure to backup ~/.VirtualBox as the 3.2 OSE version is only
>> about 5 days old...

> This is surprising.  As you may recall I came to Ubuntu from Ecomstation
> (an OEM version of OS/2). I finally received the long awaited vers 2.0.
> In a readme dated 05/21/10 they recommend VirturalBox 3.2.0.  They say
> that 3.2.0 has fixs to make Ecomstation run more stably, so maybe they
> have been working with them and anticipated the release. As I was
> writing this it occurred to me I better check to see if the fixes made
> it into the PUEL version also.

Not sure, here are the change notes:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog