Holy shit: what is this "fstab" mess I made

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 13:10:51 UTC 2010

On 06/03/2010 06:00 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> I have had problems in the past with my fstab changes going away (with
> new boot systems that I don't understand) so I used the unix command
> "chattr" to lock my changes down.
>
> For example:
>
>    chattr i /etc/fstab
>
> See:
>
>    man chattr
>
> Regards,
>
> -Tom
>
> Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
> Niceville, Florida
> USA

         Does using chattr keep you from sending a copy of it to this
list? I do it in two steps. I copy /etc/fstab to gedit. then to this
list. Here it is:

#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=26f48822-5b50-481b-b9cd-1322dac799cb /               ext4
errors=remount
-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=77cb374a-6349-427e-9b57-ea6776f4a52d none            swap    sw
   0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/sda12       /home ext4         defaults            1  2

     It takes less than a minute to do. Please try yourself

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User