Tolerance for "all"?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 04:02:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 23:47, ABSDoug <absdoug at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I mean I'm gunna try & conform as much as possible... BUT, something to think of...
>
> I'm from NYC originally. Before you say, "That explains it", I've lived a few different places & NYC is the place that has REAL tolerance. If there is a drug
> addict that just pissed his pants(or worse, don't want to curse) that he hasn't changed clothes in weeks & he gets on the train, u have to tolerate it or leave
> NYC(my solution).

I find a bit of irony in that you are complaining of intolerance,
attempting to qualify tolerance by claiming that NYC is the most
tolerant place in the world (or at least has REAL tolerance), followed
up immediately by saying that you chose to leave NYC because you
couldn't tolerate drug addicts or worse.

This is the Ubuntu users list for technical support.  It is NOT NYC,
it's not the subway, and you aren't going to get shot for looking at
someone the wrong way (by they way, is THAT an example of REAL
tolerance as you put it?)

There are certain rules, both written and unwritten here.  And they
stem from the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.  I suggest you read it:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

But let me quote the relevant part here:
"Be respectful. The Ubuntu community and its members treat one another
with respect. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Ubuntu. We
may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour
and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and
then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal
attack. It's important to remember that a community where people feel
uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. We expect members
of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when dealing with other
contributors as well as with people outside the Ubuntu project and
with users of Ubuntu."

This discussion has gone on long enough.  It's completely off topic,
and really is a non-event in any case.  Language such as that, which
may be perfectly acceptable in common speech in NYC is not perfectly
acceptable in many other parts of the world, and this is a global
community with members from all walks of life, all backgrounds,
nationalities, beliefs etc.

Were it up to me, you'd be moderated after this post, but alas it's
not.  So the next best thing I can do is add you to my kill file.

Cheers,

Jeff