Hi! I'm new to UBUNTU!

Calcpage calcpage at aol.com
Wed Jun 2 21:47:27 UTC 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Maurice McCarthy <manselton at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2 June 2010 20:06, Calcpage <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> That was my original question: how do I update the mirrors!
>>

> Oops! Sorry. :-|
>
> sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> then paste in a line such as
>
> deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ isadora main upstream import
>
> save it and run
>
> sudo aptitude update
>
> Linux Mint is ubuntu derived and isadora is based on lucid lynx so the
> above line will work as it is.
>
> Blow me down, if this does it!
> Maurice

OK, well, I suppose my original question should have been how do I
find alternate mirrors to replace what's already in sources.list?

Thanx so much for the help, especially Maurice, I really appreciate
it!  I am getting such a reducation in debian, this is great!  You
see, except for this year, I always used Knoppix, probably since it
came out.  You can probably still find all my posts on http://www.knoppix.net

BTW, I tried the 32bit live Ubuntu CD and got the same exact behavior
from sudo aptitude update!  So, maybe it is just the mirrors?  I just
need to know  which mirrors are needed, I mean there's a ton of urls
in there....

Wait, there was one difference with the 32bit install, only eth0 was
configured  So I tried sudo ifconfig eth1 1.2.3.4 netmask 2.3.4.5
broadcast 3.4.5.6 and sudo route add default gw 4.5.6.7 which seemed
to work.  However, after reboot those settings were lost.  I checked /
etc/network/interfaces and nothing was saved there!  What gives?

A. Jorge Garcia
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com