Compile the kernel

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Wed Jun 2 12:09:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, June 2, 2010 13:30, Tom H wrote:

>> I'm sorry if I am spoiling all your fun, but there is *official* Ubuntu
>> documentation about building an upstream (plain vanilla) kernel:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild
>>
>> Please also read the documentation about building an Ubuntu kernel:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
>
> The help.ubu.. link is for ubuntu kernel sources not clean, kernel.org
> ones.

I never wrote that it was. However you'd better read it as background
information, how else are you ever going to know what you're doing?

> I would not call the wiki.ubuntu... link official. Anyone can edit
> them. IIRC, Robert added something about "make oldconfig" when he was
> looking at docs for writing his howto.

I would suppose that a page with "KernelTeam" in the url would be
maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel Team.

If you look at the page history, you will see that it was created by Leann
Ogasawara, who works at Canonical as a Quality Assurance Engineer and who
is a member of the Canonical Kernel team & the Ubuntu Kernel Uploaders.
The top 3 other people that made the most contributions (in changed bytes,
not in edit counts) are all members of the Ubuntu Kernel Team.

So yeah, I consider that pretty darn official, as far as officiality goes
in any Open Source project.

The least one can say is that those two pages *should* contain the correct
information, and that in theory if you find something else on the web that
conflicts, it means that those other sites are probably wrong or mistaken.

Please take all of this with an extra grain of halite. :)

--
Amedee Van Gasse