Compile the kernel

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 11:27:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, jon at jcosby.com wrote:
>
>> Quoting "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:
>>
>> >   not that long ago, i wrote a little HOWTO here:
>> >
>> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/New_kernel_on_Ubuntu_10.04
>> >
>> > the disclaimer is that it can be even shorter as i was unaware of the
>> > "make-kpkg" utility, so i should probably update that page.  as it is,
>> > though, it does work.
>> >
>> > perhaps i'll spiff it up later tonight or tomorrow.
>> >

>> That looks great. Keep us up to date.
>
>  if i might briefly leech off the collective expertise here ...
> first, i want to verify that that wiki page of mine above actually
> represents what a number of people have asked about recently -- the
> recipe for building a new ubuntu kernel from *pristine* kernel source,
> rather than simply installing a pre-packaged version.  am i right?
>
>  next, would anyone else like to verify that they've followed that
> recipe and it just plain works?  i've written a lot of documentation
> in my time, and from my perspective, it should just work.  for anyone.
> the most maddening thing for me in any docs is the phrase, "if that
> doesn't work, try ...".  grrrrrrr.  if it doesn't work, figure out
> why and fix it.
>
>  and, lastly, that recipe is a fairly generic set of instructions
> that's based on what i've used for years on fedora (tweaked slightly
> for ubuntu).  it works for me, but only after i posted it was i
> enlightened that the latter part (installing kernel and modules,
> creating initrd, updating grub) could all be handled by "make-kpkg"
> after which the package could then simply be installed and, obviously,
> uninstalled later.
>
>  clearly, that's a more elegant solution and obviously i want to add
> that ubuntu-specific goodness so let me ask first, is the recipe at
> least correct up to the point where one would invoke "make-kpkg"?  is
> there anything that should be added?  corrected?
>
>  and since today promises to be stupidly busy, if someone simply
> wants to post *exactly* the command line to be run corresponding to
> "make-kpkg", that would be awesome.  yes, google works fine but i'm
> willing to just take the command(s) verbatim and throw them up there,
> and worry about understanding later.

Except for the git stuff, that's basically what I do to compile a kernel.

AFAIK, for make-kpkg:
cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.34-rc7
make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --append-to-version <append> --revision <revision> --initrd
kernel_image
cd /usr/src
dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.34-rc7<append>_<revision>_i386.deb