How to disable the internal speaker in Lucid

Pete Vander Giessen petevg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 16:53:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently installed Ubuntu Lucid after using Kubuntu Hardy LTS for a long
> while (KDE 3.5.10).
> I am trying to disable sound output to my internal speaker.

I'm not in front of my desktop at the moment, so I can't verify, but
this might work (similar to what I did to fix the problem on my
desktop):

1)  Click the volume control icon in your notification area, then
click "Sound Preferences" in the menu that drops down.
2)  Click over to the "Output" tab.
3)  There should be a dropdown menu at the bottom of this panel that
allows you to choose which jack you wish to output to.  If you choose
something like "Analog Output", that should get rid of sound in the
internal speaker, provided Gnome/Pulseaudio supports your hardware.

If that fails, Bill's solution of unplugging the speaker will
definitely work ;-)

~PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde