update-grub help

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue Jun 1 15:49:21 UTC 2010

On 06/01/2010 09:46 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> To go back to the OP (who seems to have disappeared)
>
> Hi Tom, thanks for joining in. Hi Goh Lip,
>
> Murphy stepped in right after my last email. My main desktop developed
> an intermittent fault that mad it impossible to use so my focus has been
> on getting that fixed. Then a public holiday intervened ...
>
> Anyway I did meanwhile start the tests Goh Lip suggested ...
>
> Goh Lip wrote:
>> grub>  ls (hd5,1)  [write carefully uuid no (do you use label for this?)]
>> grub>  search -f /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop [gives you hd5,1 ?]
>> grub>  search -f /boot/initrd-2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop  [gives you hd5,1 ?]
>>
>> If yes to above, proceed......
>
> And discovered that the problem seems to be somewhere different than
> where we've been looking. It seems that the BIOS, and grub, can't see
> the disk that SUSE is on, while Ubuntu can. So it's probably time to
> describe the machine's hardware a little more.
>
> It has ten disks. The mobo is a Tyan S7010 that has six on-board SATA
> ports (ICH10R) that are connected as follows:
>
> #0 - DVD writer
> #1 - 500 GB Ubuntu system disk
> #2 - 1.5 TB md raid
> #3 - 1.5 TB md raid
> #4 - 1.5 TB md raid
> #5 - 1.5 TB md raid
>
> Then there's a 3ware 9650SE-4LPML with four disks:
> - 1.5 TB 3ware raid
> - 1.5 TB 3ware raid
> - 1.5 TB 3ware raid
> - 1.5 TB 3ware raid
>
> And finally there's a plugin PCI-express 2-port SATA card - Belkin
> F5U251 with just one disk plugged in:
> - 500 GB openSUSE system disk
>
> As far as I can tell, all the hardware is working correctly and
> everything works when Ubuntu is running. Also, I believe the 8 disks
> connected in RAID arrays are not relevant to this issue so I'm basically
> ignoring them. They're presently unused and will just be data stores.
>
> There are some clues in the device.map files. The one produced by running
>
>   sudo grub-mkdevicemap
>
> in Ubuntu looks like this:
>
> (hd0)   /dev/sda
> (hd1)   /dev/sdb
> (hd2)   /dev/sdc
> (hd3)   /dev/sdd
> (hd4)   /dev/sde
> (hd5)   /dev/sdf
> (hd6)   /dev/sdg
>
> which looks like the traditional device.map that is easy to get wrong.
> The one in the openSUSE system (not sure what produced it) looks like this:
>
> (hd1)   /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1503FYYS-01T8B0_WD-WMAUR0310828
> (hd5)   /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31500341AS_9VS3BBQ7
> (hd0)   /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS721050CLA362_JP1540HN25EWEP
> (hd2)   /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31500341AS_9VS39AK8
> (hd4)   /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3600050e0e812cc005649000090490000
> (hd6)   /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5001AALS-00L3B2_WD-WCASYA878047
> (hd3)   /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1503FYYS-01T8B0_WD-WMAUR0310430

> [...]
Dave, more information always better than less. With this new
information, unfortunately, I have some bad news.

There is a bug due to the size limitation of Bios but that was fixed in
ubuntu, maybe it wasn't fixed in opensuse. Refer
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/grub2/+bug/403408

Please handle some suggestions on forums carefully. There are some posts
on this in the ubuntu forums, but with this being resolved, the methods
recommended are no longer valid. If this problem happens in ubuntu, I'd
recommend you go to the launchpad bug report to seek a solution or
recommend you check with the suse technical list.

In short, the recommendations (before the fix) were

o grub-install --disk-module=ata
   if it does not work , just grub-install back

o set up the /boot partition (of your suse) closer to the 'front' of the
hard disk.

o removing the "search xxxxxxxx" line. Yes, you've googled correctly,
but you should have told us about the bios not reading the the suse
partition, hence grub not being able to read the partition.

Dave, I would not be able to help you any further other than the above;
I hope Tom and others could help you further.

Good luck - Goh Lip