Problem with ifupdown script

Cameron Hutchison lists at xdna.net
Tue Jun 1 00:00:03 UTC 2010

Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> writes:

>  #! /bin/sh
>  # this is /etc/network/if-up.d/myifup
>  [ x$IFACE = xeth0 ] && ifdown --force wlan0
>  exit 0

>  #! /bin/sh
>  # this is /etc/network/if-down.d/myifup
>  [ x$IFACE = xeth0 ] && ifup --force wlan0
>  exit 0

You're trying to call ifupdown recursively, and from my experience it
does not like that. You need to delay the call to ifupdown in your
scripts:

echo "ifdown --force wlan0 >/dev/null 2>&1" | at now

or if you have bash:

at now <<<"ifdown --force wlan0 >/dev/null 2>&1"

This may not be your actual problem. My use case was bring up a VPN
connection with ifupdown when the WAN connection came up. The above
delay solved it for me.