System Shutting Down Unexpectedly (Ubuntu 10.04)

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 22:52:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 15:47, Stephen Michael Kuhn
<yank.down.under at gmx.com> wrote:
> Have you thought about opening the box and checking to see if the fan/cpu
> cooling block, powersupply and anything - might be dusty? Ditto with the
> cooling block/fan on the graphics card...just a thought...(happened to me more
> than I care to admit - lack of internal maintenance)

Well, I've been inside it not too long ago, and I'm not seeing any
symptoms of overheating.

I did discover  the "sensors" command and I have a cron job recording
temp and voltage data every minute.

And my box is in a hard-to-get place for my old bones--putting that
off till later.

Since I changed rc2.d to kill the acpi control script, my box has
continued to run (knock on wood).  It has now been running several
hours longer than it usually does before shutting down.

I hope that change has "fixed" it--maybe then we can get a more
precise handle on why it happened in the first place (i.e., the real
problem: kernel or?).

Regards,

-Tom