'apropos uuid' doesn't find blkid [rant]

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Sat Jul 31 17:08:07 UTC 2010

Op 31-07-10 18:48, Nils Kassube schreef:
> Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
>> amedee at fangorn:~$ blkid
>
> You'd better repeat that command with sudo because otherwise you may get
> obsolete UUIDs due to the cache blkid uses.

Yeah well I happen to have read permission on the raw block device so it
doesn't matter if I use sudo or not. See 'man libblkid' for details.

Anyway the new partition format was NTFS and the old one FAT. They use
different UUID formats (FAT: xxxx-xxxx vs NTFS: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, where
x is a hex digit) and I got an NTFS-type UUID so I knew I got the right
one. After changing /etc/fstab, I tried to mount the partition and that
succeeded so that's another confirmation that I got the right UUID.

But thanks anyway, for the event that somebody ever runs into a blkid
inconsistency.

--
Amedee