System Shutting Down Unexpectedly (Ubuntu 10.04)

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 13:23:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:45, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/28/2010 06:28 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
>> I appreciate all the replies, but did anyone see anything in their
>> logs to indicate the shutdown or temp problems?

I have passed the following parameters to the kernel to try to
eliminate  the power management system:

  acpi=off noapic

I still got a shutdown yesterday, but it looks like it is doing it
gracefully.  The last message on the terminal was something like:

  power off...

(Sorry--I should have recorded it--I will next time!)

This morning I manually changed the acpi control script in /etc/rc2.d
from start to kill just in case something funny is going on there.

Now I'm watching the system again.

Is anyone aware of any cpu temp or status logging tools for Linux?

How do you monitor cpu status for Linux (seems like there are all
kinds of Windows utilities)?

Regards,

-Tom