creating extended partition/ deleting partition on windows 7 netbook

Keith Jesse keijacq at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 03:47:07 UTC 2010

Thank you for you incredibly prompt response. Yes purchased from Aldi. It
seems like a nice machine even for that!  I am uploading Ubuntu - for my
father. I have been Using Ubuntu myself on my laptop for the last year and
love it (the recent upgrades fixed mic problems, constant screen resolution
problems on opening). I am sure that Ubuntu will be simpler and clearer for
him that 'micro' soft windows.

Its all a learning curve - I will follow your suggestions - copy and delete
unnecessary recovery partition and other. From what you are saying Ununtu
still needs to be loaded into an 'Extended Partition' - not into a new
partition? *Once I reduce the windows partitions to 2 and create and
extended partition - will I be able to upload Ubuntu in the normal way with
the side by side option appearing on the install program?*

thank you for your time

cheers

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Stephen Michael Kuhn <
yank.down.under at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:18:28 pm Keith Jesse wrote:
> > I cant work out how to create an extended partition/logical partition in
> > Windows 7 (Medion Netbook)   - such that I can install Ubuntu alongside
> > Windows (which takes up all 4 partitions). I have searched extensively on
> > the net - but cant find a simple method for the not too literate to
> either:
> > create the extended partition and upload Ubuntu - or delete such Windows
> > partitions that are not necessary and then allow Ubuntu to automatically
> > upload?
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
>
> Medion. Got from Aldi?
> Right.
>
> Microsoft Windows7 will use two partitions generally - one for boot and one
> for the OS itself (or OS loader as they like to call it). The other two,
> I'm
> lost on - however, I'll bet they're for recovery - since, of course, you
> didn't get a real DVD with the machine. Determine which partition is
> actually
> the Windows7 partition. You should be able to resize that one enough to
> create
> an extended partition for your Ubuntu installation. Check one of the other
> two
> partitions to find out exactly what is living on them - so that you might
> be
> able to resize one or both of them - or even find out if they're necessary
> at
> all - space is space, and wasted space is, well, wasted space. You should
> be
> able to acheive literally all of this via the liveCD and gparted
> (System/Administration/GParted).
>
> A Medion passed through here last month with the same basic layout - upon
> invenstigation, I burnt some drivers from one of the partitions to a CD,
> then
> blew out two of the partitions, created a partition for swap, and one for
> Ubuntu proper. All has been well since (sorry, forgot to mention that I
> resized the primary Windows7 partition to give Ubuntu 100gb as well).
>
> HTH!

> .:yankdownunder aka s.m.kuhn aka Elf:.
> --------------------------------------
> .:If it's not Ubuntu, it's just NOT:.
> --------------------------------------
> .:|GNU/Linux Registered User:267497|:.
> Linux 2.6.32-24-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 5 09:22:14 UTC 2010
>
> My Bonnie looked into a gas tank,
> The height of its contents to see!
> She lit a small match to assist her,
> Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me.

Keith Jesse
Sustainable  Community & Development UYCEP
59672416
0439595312