vnc

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 20:02:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 14:18 -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>
>> The last couple of times I looked, I saw only 2 servers -- tightvnc
>> and vnc4server.  (I may be misremembering the names).  Each time I
>> installed the tightvnc server, ran into some problems with it,
>> installed vns4server, and was happy with that.  (You'd think that,
>> after the first time, I would have remembered that I had problems with
>> tightvnc server... but I didn't remember :-( ).
>
> There is X11vnc, too. I think that one is the default. So, I think I
> would be better off picking JUST ONE, instead of pushing all the buttons
> in synaptic. I'll give your suggestion a go and try the vnc4 combo, with
> fries and a shake. Thanks! Ric
My understanding (based upon pure assumption, and not upon taking any
time to actually read some documentation) is that x11vnc reflects your
X session as a VNC server.  The other 2 packages implement a
standalone VNC server.  I'm probably describing this poorly at best,
inaccurately at worst, but I can tell you that vnc4server has worked
for me (and a colleague) for starting up a VNC session that I could
attach to independently of what was being displayed on the console of
my computer.

--wpd