Thoughts from a friend newbie Ubuntu user

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 30 19:12:42 UTC 2010

On 07/30/2010 02:22 PM, Stephen Michael Kuhn wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 03:29:23 am Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> I've yet to see a speedy 64bit install. Ubuntu or otherwise. I
>>> consistently stick to 32bit, especially for paying clients. I won't go
>>> further on that note.
>>
>> 	Have a look at mine, then. Dell Optiplex 760, 6GB RAM, 220GB HDD, Intel
>> Core2 Duo @ 2.666 GHz. Fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10, upgraded last month
>> to 10.4. Nice&  zippy.
>> 	Most of the people I hear complaining about 64bit Ubuntu being slow are
>> people with less than 4GB of RAM on that system. For them, there is no
>> point of having 64 bit OS anyway.
>
> Let's ask a simple question here, David.
> How many struggling small businesses want to purchase a machine (let alone a
> Dell - they don't have a very good relationship with Australia) with that much
> "oomph"? They don't give a hoot. However, they're more than happy to shell out
> say, $400 on a box with 2gb of RAM and a 512mb PCie. Most of the folks I have
> to deal with have gone the route of purchasing "ex lease" or "auctioned"
> Optiplex's over the course of the past ten years, and have groaned at the pain
> of driver installations under Microsoft Windows - so when given an option,
> they've steered quite clear...

{clipped a bunch}

	Stephen, what you said is very true***; and thank you for providing
evidence/ammo to support my recommendation of "if you don't have 4
(3.5)GB of RAM, don't use 64 bit". On the average, 64bit OSes on
machines with 4GB or more of RAM run just fine. But as with anything,
there are always exceptions. THere will always be the odd not-much-used
program that will flake out on a 64bit OS. Most likely because it isn't
used much and therefore doesn't get much attention by the developers and
those who can fix it.

	*** Well, except I don't think this rig is all that high-end nowadays,
just an average amount of "oomph". It's got the 6GB of RAM only because
I swiped 4GB from the Winders 7 PC at my desk that wasn't doing much.
I've also imported that Win7 physical PC into Virtualbox. Runs only a
smidge slower (1.5GB of RAM for the VM), but enough for my uses....

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818