Optiplex 380, Ubuntu 9.04

Stephen Michael Kuhn yank.down.under at gmx.com
Fri Jul 30 16:20:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:30:27 pm n dhert wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks for your answer.
> It's not in that blacklist (although the comments  not very much explain as
> to what (kind of) devices
> they actually apply).
> I downloaded a linux driver (.tar.gz) filefrom Broadcom's website, for
> Broadcom Netlink, compiled and installed it and the network came up ...
> But after doing a update via Update Manager, which installed a new kernel,
> and a reboot,
> I found out that I had to recompile the driver and install it again ...
>
> I hope the driver is present in Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04, because In fact I
> want 10.4, but the Grub2 default
> used in 10.4 (or would thre be a way to force 10.4 to use the lehacy grub
> ?) gives problems:
> The PC i'm dealing with is to be a model PC for dual boot WinXP/Ubuntu for
> a classroom
> and although I can make an image and clone the image on another identical
> PC, I get no grub menu when booting ! It just boots directly in Windows.
> ( I can recreate the MBR using Ubuntu Live CD and some instructions I found
> on Ubuntu webpages, but this is not a suitable solution of course, since
> refresh of the PC's is to be done every night).
>
> Also I found that Ext4, the now default file system format, isn't supported
> by two of the cloning
> software I used (Rdeploy and ghost), I need to revert to Ext3 (luckilly
> this I can choose),
>
> I noticed upgrading 9.4 to 9.10 to 10.4 preserves the legacy grub (and also
> Ext3)
> but it's a long shot ...  sigh ...
>
> If you might have other suggestions or tips, thanx in advance..

Why not start off "fresh" in the first place and use 10.04 instead of anything
else? On that same token, Dell's are more than often problematic due to the
nature of their manufacture (cheap all-in-one motherboards with cheap low
quality graphics, sound and network built onto the cheap motherboard).

As well, all the imaging software out there is based on the unix "dd" command.
If you want to image an entire drive, you can simply boot a liveCD and use
"dd" to image the entire drive (this includes the mbr my friend - and every
other byte thereof!)

--
.:yankdownunder aka s.m.kuhn aka Elf:.

Nearly every complex solution to a programming problem that I
have looked at carefully has turned out to be wrong.
		-- Brent Welch