XP inside 10.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jul 30 14:45:42 UTC 2010

Basil Chupin wrote:
> However, and here I am stating something based on what the facilities
> I knew about a few ago: whatever apps you use for Windows to run
> inside a linux distro depend very much on whether the linux distro
> has the drivers to be able to run the hardware aimed at Windows or
> not. For example, if the Kodak printer cannot be run by a linux
> distro to begin with then running it using something like Virtual
> Box within a linux distro will not solve your problem.

That's not necessarily correct. You can connect the printer to the USB
port and then reroute it to the virtual machine which runs XP. In XP you
use the standard XP driver for the printer and it should work. It really
depends on the device you want to use. E.g. I can use a USB wireless
adapter which is no longer supported by Linux in the XP virtual machine.
However I had no luck with USB DVB-T devices last time i tried it (about
2 years ago).

Nils