To all those who have tried to use vlc to view TV channels on their computers

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 30 13:28:31 UTC 2010

On 30/07/2010 22:51, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> For years I have used xine (to view DVB-T television and DVDs) as
>> well as kaffeine (to record most TV channels) and vlc to be able to
>> view DVDs from a directory on the HD (because kaffeine lost that
>> ability almost 2 years ago).
>>
>> Today, I broke the "secret" of having vlc recognise and display TV
>> channels on my DVB card! Not mentioned anywhere in the documentation
>> but a casual read of a comment in the vieolan forum solved my
>> problem which has been bugging me for a looooooooong, looooong time.
>>
>> I can now view DVDs, view TV (terrestrial in my case, but cable or
>> satellite as well if you have either), record programs, capture
>> snapshots, edit the files....
>>
>> The missing link which nobody could provide me with is: you need to
>> use w-scan to create the same channels.conf file which xine uses and
>> then start vlc with the command line "vlc %U
>> <directory-where-channels.conf-is>/channels.conf".
>>
>> As simple as this - but this is not mentioned in the dox for vlc :-(
>> .
>>
> Now the question is, why can't vlc and xine grow up and make that config
> file on their own? If they provide the possibility to receive DVB, there
> should be an option to scan for DVB channels. If the code to make the
> channels.conf exists already (w-scan), it shouldn't be too difficult to
> include it to vlc / xine.
>
> </rant>
>

> Nils

Don't ask me. I wondered the same thing.

kaffeine can do its own scan - but it cannot come up with the correct
info for it to be able to handle the audio for some HD channels (don't
ask me why- I've provided the info to the maintainer as he requested and
who said that he has now fixed the problem, but hasn't :-( . And this
was many months ago :-( .)

BC

--
If nothing happens, nothing can go wrong.