Optiplex 380, Ubuntu 9.04

n dhert ndhertubu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:30:27 UTC 2010

Hi,
thanks for your answer.
It's not in that blacklist (although the comments  not very much explain as
to what (kind of) devices
they actually apply).
I downloaded a linux driver (.tar.gz) filefrom Broadcom's website, for
Broadcom Netlink, compiled and installed it and the network came up ...
But after doing a update via Update Manager, which installed a new kernel,
and a reboot,
I found out that I had to recompile the driver and install it again ...

I hope the driver is present in Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04, because In fact I
want 10.4, but the Grub2 default
used in 10.4 (or would thre be a way to force 10.4 to use the lehacy grub
?) gives problems:
The PC i'm dealing with is to be a model PC for dual boot WinXP/Ubuntu for a
classroom
and although I can make an image and clone the image on another identical
PC, I get no grub menu when booting ! It just boots directly in Windows.
( I can recreate the MBR using Ubuntu Live CD and some instructions I found
on Ubuntu webpages, but this is not a suitable solution of course, since
refresh of the PC's is to be done every night).

Also I found that Ext4, the now default file system format, isn't supported
by two of the cloning
software I used (Rdeploy and ghost), I need to revert to Ext3 (luckilly this
I can choose),

I noticed upgrading 9.4 to 9.10 to 10.4 preserves the legacy grub (and also
Ext3)
but it's a long shot ...  sigh ...

If you might have other suggestions or tips, thanx in advance..