Optiplex 380, Ubuntu 9.04

Stephen Michael Kuhn yank.down.under at gmx.com
Fri Jul 30 07:19:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:11:36 pm n dhert wrote:
> I have a new Dell optiplex 380 with WindowsXP, netwerd card is Broadcom
> Netlink(TM) Gigabit Ethernet
> Works OK in WindowsXP (get TCP/IP params from the DHCP server, can connect
> to Internet)
> Added Ubuntu9.04 from install CD
> But Ubuntu9.04 had no network connection
> $ ifconfig -a
> doesn't show eth0 (only lo, pan0)
>
> What's wrong and how to remedy?

I'd firstly think that the possibility of the module (driver) for that card
may be in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf => check it. If it IS, then you
should be able to uncomment it from there, reboot, and the connection will get
configured. However, if the chance arises that that is not the case, you may
want to try booting with something a bit more current (9.10 or 10.04); I've
not had heaps of fun with Optiplex machines in the past, and have found that
drivers necessary for the hardware were, in fact, blacklisted most of the
time.

--
.:yankdownunder aka s.m.kuhn aka Elf:.

To love is good, love being difficult.