old contents of /var/cache/apt/apt-file/

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 30 00:56:46 UTC 2010

On 07/29/2010 05:23 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 07/30/2010 06:05 AM, NoOp wrote:

>>> Strange again, this (apt-get autoclean) works for me, but copying
>>> /var/cache/apt/archives/ did not.
>>> Did just that moments ago.
>>> Must check if I am on right distro; Ubuntu, right?  ;)
>>>
>>> Regards - Goh Lip
>>
>> And you had files like:
>> us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_Contents-i386.gz
>> in the archives?
>>

> Never. Never had file that have a .gz in /var/cache/apt/archives/
> Perhaps a 'partial' for unfinished downloads and a 'lock'.
> Try moving it someplace else and check if it performs 'as normal'.
>
> As far as I can tell, the the .gz file should be a listing of all
> packages available, in your case, from the us archives of hardy version
> i386. Logically, it looks like sometime ago, you may have downloaded all
> the packages from the us archives into your /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
> with it that .gz file; but that would be a huge download (and would
> contradict that logic). So I cannot make any sense why it is there.

Not that I can recall. And if I did I wouldn't have stored it there on
purpose. Perhaps it got there during alternate CD updgrade or similar.
The download musn't have been that huge as the multiple .gz's in the
folder totaled 39Mb. Unfortunately, I've already 'rm'ed the files so
can't provide any further information.

But I suspect it was more of bugs in apt/apt-file. Keep in mind that
this machine has been continually upgraded from dapper to lucid.