How do I upgrade Ubuntu OS from the CD.

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 18:02:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 07:46 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:18:51 +1000
> Stephen Michael Kuhn <yank.down.under at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > In all honesty - and this is not from a personal perspective, but
> > from a consultant's perspective - unless there is something UTTERLY
> > IRRETRIEVEABLE on that install, it's better to do a fresh
> > installation than upgrade. The quantified time you spend backing up
> > and doing a fresh installation is nothing in comparison to doing an
> > upgrade - chasing down all the niggly bits that don't work properly,
> > trying to resolve old issues that you thought were fixed, other
> > system/OS related issues. However, the choice is yours to make.
>
> I'm sorry, but I have to call FUD on that.  Ubuntu is the most easily
> upgraded OS I have ever tried.  In all my upgrades (yes, up/grades/)
> from Warty in 2004 it has been seamless and I have never once had to
> chase down anything.

If all you have running is a "Hunt The Wumpus" server, I'd buy that.
But, this list, and plenty others, are chock full of people smashing
their install to smithereens with upgrades. The crying towel is soaking
wet from those botched upgrades and I had it happen to me, a couple of
times. I used to work for RedHat, so I usually have some sort of clue.
I've even had a couple of beers with Mad Dog Hall and Evan Leibovich.
They liked my redhot chicken wings at the last RedHat Expo in 2000. Mad
Dog won the hot sauce eating contest that I threw, in front of several
hundred faithful RedHat geeks.

For the Joe Lunchbucket crowd, who are clueless about the contents
of /etc/fstab and resolv.conf, (God loves them too) tweaking a few files
is out of the question. So, sure, ...if you have the cojones, upgrade.
Be prepared with backups. Or, backup anyway and install everything
fresh. Restore only things that do not upset the new install and the new
scripts. Life is good and kind after that.

Juggling some 28,000 files, with an upgrade script, can become messy,
fast. Humans make mistakes 15% of the time. Ergo, the popular wisdom for
the newbies and half-baked, is install fresh. Upgrading an "Old
Version" (which is God only knows what) via a wireless connection is
just asking for a kick-me session. What Marvin said, "It will all end in
tears", comes to mind. That's my two cents worth. :) Ric