REPOST- Having the date format shown correctly in Lucid (and Maverick)

Stephen Michael Kuhn yank.down.under at gmx.com
Thu Jul 29 07:59:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 05:38:40 pm Basil Chupin wrote:

> > Google is your friend.
>
> Google is NOT my friend, nor anyone else's.

I had to break that news to Google. She was a tad bit upset. Wasn't very
tactful, you know, breaking her heart like that - just when she thought she
was EVERYONE's friend...tch tch tch...

> >   Have you tried the following?
> >
> > http://ubuntulinux.co.in/blog/ubuntu/how-to-set-time-zone-in-cli-mode-in-
> > ubuntu-server/
>
> Yep, and it does not solve my problem - I still get the American way of
> showing the time stamp - month/day/year - and not what I have Ubuntu
> configured to show: day/month/year.
>
> Even Windows could do this for me - but not Ubuntu/Gnome :'( :'( .
>
> BC

This is actually an issue with the applet, not necessarily with Gnome (Gee, No
Me!); this has been happening since, um, forever - as when I moved to this
lovely country, I wanted to fit in with everyone else and I wanted the date to
reflect the same as is locally preferred. I have lost friends just because of
this applet's inability to display the time/date/century in the format I so
desire. HOWEVER, there is hope. Upon looking through the "registry" in gconf-
editor, there is a "custom" function for setting the format - which is NOT
accessible through the GUI of the applet. It would appear as though some
programming knowledge is necessary (for strings and string variables). I know
this and a donut don't amount to much, but it's something of an answer, and
something to use to console oneself - as this has plagued me since 2000 (ad,
not bc).
Cheers!

--
.:yankdownunder aka s.m.kuhn aka Elf:.

A tautology is a thing which is tautological.