desperate----- need help to install a driver RT3090_LinuxSTA

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 28 17:41:19 UTC 2010

On 07/28/2010 08:06 AM, Patrice Tremblay wrote:
>  mini HP 110-3053CA  net-book
>
> 02:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
>
> As I Understand... this card is also the blue-tooth card
>
> I found the driver on this Ralink web page
> http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
>
> the instruction I took was on this web page
>
> http://www.ctbarker.info/2010/05/ubuntu-1004-wireless-chipsets-and-wpa.html
>
> I did follow the instruction (of course changing the driver name for the
> wright one) but I always
>
> had the problem . I did try another time and it seams I did not do it wright
> the first time because it is working now.

Please bottom post on this list - thanks :-)

What do you show for 'System|Administration|Hardware Drivers'? Are any
drivers listed? If the driver is not showing, let's try this:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=ubuntu+%2Blucid+%2BRaLink+RT3090+Wireless&btnG=Search>

and we find:
[Ralink RT3090 Wireless Not Supported in Lucid]

and
[Wireless not working on RaLink RT3090 with Ubuntu 10.04]

Before you try to build your own driver package[1], try the simplest
suggestion first. Open a terminal and:

$ sudo mkdir -p /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/
$ sudo touch /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat
$ sudo service network-manager restart

[1] If you still wish to build the driver, these instructions appear to
be the most complete & up-to-date:
http://www.halibutdepot.org/how_to_build_rt3090_for_ubuntu_lucid/
Note: the current version is 2.3.1.6 per:
http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
so just modify the version number accordingly.

Or, you can try the karmic package (but I agree with the author above
that using that dated driver might not be the best); download:

<https://launchpad.net/~markus-tisoft/+archive/rt3090/+files/rt3090-dkms_2.3.1.3-0ubuntu0~ppa1_all.deb>

Either way, I'd be sure to subscribe to
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/541620> so that
you can follow the progress.