How hard it is to configure Kerberos and nfs4?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:23:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I need to have nfs4 installed. I think that Kerberos is required to be
>> installed. I heard that Kerberos was hard to install. But I'm not sure
>> if it is hard to configure now. Could anybody that have any experience
>> on Kerberos and nfs4 comment on it?
>
> nfsv4 doesn't require kerberos.

I'm trying to setup an home directory on a file server and port them
as home to several machines.

According to the following webpage, it may have the following problem
setting up NFSv4 w/o Kerberos. Would it be this problem for the task
of setting up the home directory via NFSv4?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto#NFSv4%20without%20Kerberos

Note regarding UID/GID permissions on NFSv4 without Kerberos

    * They do not work. Can someone please help investigating?
Following this guide will result in UID/GID on the export being
generic despite having same UID on client and server. Mounting same
shar on NFSv3 works correctly with regards to UID/GID. Does this need
Kerberos to work fully?

      This is a possibly related bug:

> Kerberos is relatively difficult to install but not more than an smtp
> or imap server. There are many online howtos.

Regards,
Peng